PDA

View Full Version : symbolic stories in Buddhism

Jessie797
28 Oct 12, 13:13
1. Babblers in the Ocean

There is a metaphor in Buddhism – all the beings, including animals, plants, minerals and human in the world, are just like the water babblers floating on the surface of the ocean. The ocean beneath these babblers represents the essence of all these beings. The boundaries which confines and makes individual beings distinct are only the water film. Once the water film broke up, all sorts of beings would turn into our true existence, which is the ocean of our true heart.

Aloka
28 Oct 12, 13:26
1. Babblers in the Ocean

There is a metaphor in Buddhism – all the beings, including animals, plants, minerals and human in the world, are just like the water babblers floating on the surface of the ocean. The ocean beneath these babblers represents the essence of all these beings. The boundaries which confines and makes individual beings distinct are only the water film. Once the water film broke up, all sorts of beings would turn into our true existence, which is the ocean of our true heart.

Welcome Jessie,

Could you give a source and URL link for where you read this, please.

You also need to say what it is that you want to discuss with other members when you start a new topic, thanks.

With kind wishes,

Aloka :hands:

Jessie797
29 Oct 12, 05:55
Thanks Aloka,
This passage is translated from a part from the sermon of Master Chin Kung, who is the founder of Amitabha Buddhist Society. And I am a believer of Amitabha Buddhism and a follower of Master Chin Kung. This passage is telling people that all the existing beings in the universe are coherent and the same. Therefore it is unwise to persist on one's own opinion and stand against others'.
Aloka, I will do as you told from now on. Thanks again!
Best wishes.
Jessie

Aloka
29 Oct 12, 07:22
This passage is translated from a part from the sermon of Master Chin Kung, who is the founder of Amitabha Buddhist Society

Thanks a lot for explaining where its from, Jessie. An internet link to any passages in English which are referenced is also appreciated, so that members can read at the source of the information for themselves.

I am moving this thread to the Mahayana forum. ;D

nibbuti
29 Oct 12, 07:51
Nice story Jessie.

But to be honest it does remind me a bit of 'returning to Brahman'.

Do you wish to explain it? What is "confined", what is the "essence"?

:confused:

Jessie797
29 Oct 12, 12:38
Sorry, Nibbuti.
It is my translating skills that should be blamed. "confined" means "limited, restricted"; "essence" means "original self, true self" .

nibbuti
29 Oct 12, 21:27
Sorry, Nibbuti.
It is my translating skills that should be blamed. "confined" means "limited, restricted"; "essence" means "original self, true self" .
No problem Jessie, your translating skills seem to be just fine. Only I'm stumbling over the ocean/essence/true self theme and wonder what it might be. Same as Hindu/Brahman/Godhead? Or what else do you/the author mean by it?

http://i.imgur.com/BPsEp.gif

Jessie797
30 Oct 12, 02:16
Dear Nibbuti,
There is a saying in Buddhism that no matter what kind of sect within Buddhism you believe in, the sect you chose as you like will lead you to the same destination of Buddhism -- the orignal and undisturbed heart. These different sects are just different facilities each person prefer to make use of to reach the same goal. It's like "All roads lead to Rome". See?
Buddhism practically teachs us how to live wisely and happily. It's a lively method applied in daily life, not a course studied for tests in schools. There is no need to bend on the literal meaning of very word or the theory of different sects.