PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Adamcmwck
21 Oct 12, 19:51
Hello

I'm Adam 30 yr old married father of two who has recently started to take an interest in Buddhism. I'm very new to it however have liked what I have read so far.

I'm currently reading and researching topics to ascertain if this is truly something I wish to pursue. I have no religion or faith at present although I am a devoted martial artist which itself comes with some similar ethics and standards.

Looking forward to learning more.

woodscooter
21 Oct 12, 20:03
Hi Adam,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter

fletcher
21 Oct 12, 20:45
Welcome Adam from a fellow martial artist, I agree that Buddhism and martial arts work well together. :)

Gassho

Gary

Aloka
22 Oct 12, 07:24
Hi Adam,

Welcome to BWB !

with kind wishes

Aloka :hands:

applejack877
22 Oct 12, 14:29
Welcome Adam. I too am a martial artist. I hope that you have a good journey into Buddhism. I find it fascinating.

Adamcmwck
22 Oct 12, 15:52
Welcome Adam. I too am a martial artist. I hope that you have a good journey into Buddhism. I find it fascinating.

I am really just starting. I have emailed a few local places and downloaded a couple of books but I'm unsure where to start and what I have to do.

Can anyone recommend a good book to get me started

nibbuti
22 Oct 12, 16:00
Can anyone recommend a good book to get me started
Hi Adam. I don't know what is a good book to get started, because I've dipped right into the Buddha's heartwood teachings in the Majjhima Nikaya after a standard Dalai Lama book and Beginner's Mind that were not so overwhelming. But it is said What The Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula is fairly comprehensive.

:hands:

Aloka
22 Oct 12, 16:06
Hi Adam

In addition to nibbuti's recommendation of 'What the Buddha Taught' (or the Pali Canon) you could also have a look at the Buddhist Studies guide at the Buddhanet site for a general overview of Buddhism.

Can I request that you ask us any other questions in the 'Discovering Buddha's Teachings' forum, please, because this is just the introduction and welcome area.

Adamcmwck
22 Oct 12, 16:24
Hi Adam

In addition to nibbuti's recommendation of 'What the Buddha Taught' (or the Pali Canon) you could also have a look at the Buddhist Studies guide at the Buddhanet site for a general overview of Buddhism.

Can I request that you ask us any other questions in the 'Discovering Buddha's Teachings' forum, please, because this is just the introduction and welcome area.

Sorry I will refrain from asking here. Thank you for the replies.

Aloka
22 Oct 12, 16:38
Thanks, Adam, I hope you enjoy the discussions here. ;D

rollerskateskinny
22 Oct 12, 17:17
hey, adam. i am totally new also. anyway what sort of martial arts are you trained in? reading and researching buddhism is probably a lot like reading and researching martial arts. have you checked out any nearby temples or zen centers?

Adamcmwck
22 Oct 12, 20:43
Don't know how to send you a Private message and don't want to clog up the forum. Trained in loads since I was 5. Sent an email to 2 local temples (?) only one has replied.

Aloka
22 Oct 12, 20:47
Hi Adam, the PM system isn't immediately available to new members - please check the Help menu in the strip at the top of the main forums page for more details, - and also the Code of Conduct.