PDA

View Full Version : I have some description of why i'm asking along with a question about Zen Buddhism.

david002
27 Sep 12, 15:48
:hands: Hello everyone.

I am going to use terms which most likely indicate that I am very new in my practice of Buddhism :lol:

By short periods of meditating and reading some material on the basics of Buddhism I have felt very good inside and I feel as if I am gradually becoming more at peace with myself and the rest of existence.

I admit that I am a very very new Buddhist. I am always learning, and I hope that I always will be learning.;D

I privately took refuge in the three jewels and I am a Buddhist also in that I have (as a newbie) started meditating for short periods and I have been reading material on Buddhism.

I know there is no magic in taking refuge, but I did so privately just because it gave me encouragement.

My life has been deeply touched by a famous Buddhist monk named Thich Nhat Hanh. I read part of a book that he wrote while I was in a drug and alcohol rehab about 3 years ago.

I was very moved by his beliefs in regards to Jesus from a Buddhist perspective. I know that Thich Nhat Hanh does not believe that Jesus is the son of an almighty God therefore making him divine, but I was humbled I think by his reverence and open mindedness towards a person from another faith background.

I think it moved me more, because for most of my life I was theistic (god believing), and his open mindedness was so very touching to me. I no longer believe in a personal creator God, but I respect those who do.

Because the peace and inspiration that I have felt from Thich Nhat Hanh's writings, I have decided to pursue Zen Buddhism at some point. I am a Buddhist, but my question is.......

Do you have to go to a temple and formally take refuge in say a Zen Buddhist way to be a Zen Buddhist?

I am a Buddhist, but I did not know if you needed to go to a temple in order to identify as a particular type of Buddhist. I did not know if you needed to take refuge in a temple to be a specific type of Buddhist.

I should also mention that I do not live anywhere near a Buddhist Temple and my family would most likely not support me going to a Buddhist sitting group, however I do not know that for sure.

I am 26 years old in way less than a month, but I live iwth my parents, and I have no means of personal transportation. I cannot afford to drive at this point in my life.

Thank you to everyone who is a part of my Sangha (this whole forum):peace:

srivijaya
28 Sep 12, 08:59
I am a Buddhist, but I did not know if you needed to go to a temple in order to identify as a particular type of Buddhist. I did not know if you needed to take refuge in a temple to be a specific type of Buddhist.

I should also mention that I do not live anywhere near a Buddhist Temple and my family would most likely not support me going to a Buddhist sitting group, however I do not know that for sure.

I am 26 years old in way less than a month, but I live iwth my parents, and I have no means of personal transportation. I cannot afford to drive at this point in my life.

Thank you to everyone who is a part of my Sangha (this whole forum):peace:
Hi David,
When we're new to Buddhism, going to a temple can be interesting and inspiring. The people we meet, the advice, the ideas are a whole new world. It's possible to make friends etc etc.

Bear in mind though that this (of itself) has nothing directly to do with Buddhism. What you are doing within meditation is of infinite value, although it may seem sometimes banal or rather straightforward. Yes, your own inner space is where the transformation and insight into Buddha's teachings have to eventually manifest, so the unavailability of a temple is not a deal-breaker by a long shot. A temple can't give you that.

Temples can be great if you can get to them but, like you, for many years I haven't been in a position to do so. You will find that online sangha have their limits too but there is a huge amount of information on the web. Take what you need and what you can synthesize.

Buddha's in the wire if you are looking;)

Rosebud
28 Sep 12, 14:40
This thread helped me also, a very very new Buddhist. Thank you for asking. :up2:

david002
29 Sep 12, 16:01
Thank you srivijaya for your response, and I am very very glad that my post helped you Rosebud. That makes me smile;D

This is a very valuable and helpful online Sangha. :peace: