PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear's a little confused......

Big Bear
10 Aug 12, 11:19
Hi all,

I know very little about Buddhism (took me ages to answer the random question on the registration page!). I have reached a point in my life where I know something is missing, I've tried all sorts including the Christian Church, but cannot scratch my itch.

I want to practice something, but something that is personal, private and something I can hold within myself.

Buddhism feels right but I'm concerned about "trappings" which I feel will hinder my experience. What do you think?

Aloka
10 Aug 12, 12:12
Buddhism feels right but I'm concerned about "trappings" which I feel will hinder my experience. What do you think?

Welcome Big Bear,

My suggestion is why not investigate, you've got nothing to lose ! You might like to have a look at the Buddhist Studies section at Buddhanet for an overall general view of Buddhism.

http://www.buddhanet.net/

You are also welcome to ask us questions about the core teachings of the Buddha in our 'Discovering Buddha's Teachings' forum.

You might want to consider the possibility of changing your user name because we already have a member called TheBigBear. Please check your e-mail box for a message from me about this.

With kind wishes

Aloka ;D

andyrobyn
10 Aug 12, 12:16
Hi all,

I know very little about Buddhism (took me ages to answer the random question on the registration page!). I have reached a point in my life where I know something is missing, I've tried all sorts including the Christian Church, but cannot scratch my itch.

I want to practice something, but something that is personal, private and something I can hold within myself.

Hi Big Bear, I concur with Aloka-D ... most of what I think would be considered trappings would be optional extras designed to fit human experience rather than core teachings of Buddhist practice.

Esho
10 Aug 12, 22:52
Welcome Big Bear! :wave:

I think Aloka has given a good advice.

Element
11 Aug 12, 06:35
welcome BB

Buddhism teaches "trappings" are a fetter (obstacle).

There are 10 fetters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetter_(Buddhism)) (obstacles) to full awakening and trappings (attachment to rites and rituals) is the 3rd fetter.

Regards

woodscooter
12 Aug 12, 17:27
Hi Big Bear,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter

andyrobyn
12 Aug 12, 22:33
Welcome to BWB from me also.

I think it is worth mentioning that it is the attachment to trappings which is identified as a fetter. For me this includes the strict adherence to certain rules and rituals, and the performing of certain acts ( like good works ) believing that this is the practice.

Aloka
14 Aug 12, 08:48
Is your e-mail address active, Big Bear ? You didn't reply to my e-mail about the possibility of a name change because of another member already called TheBigBear ....see #2.