PDA

View Full Version : Ohai!

SwamiMike
18 Jul 12, 04:34
Hi all,
I just found this forum, so I thought I'd join.

I may be a bit unique in my circumstances, but hopefully, I'm still welcome.
My name is Mike, I'm from Halifax NS, I'm 35 years old and have been an ordained minister in a Christian denomination (a pretty progressive one...obviously?) for the past 10 years. I'm also a member of the Halifax Shambhala Centre. I really like my sangha friends, for the first little while I was a bit evasive when anyone asked me what I did for a living (though I was forthright on my application) because I didn't want to stick out, be judged, make people uncomfortable, have people treat me differently and all of that.
As I have gotten deeper into Dharma study my fears have eased, and when asked I just tell them. I'm sure the reaction of people at the Centre I did tell helped ease my fears too. The usual response is that they think it's cool that I'm open enough to be there.
My study of Buddhism has given me an interesting lens through which to read the scriptures of my tradition of origin also. It's like there is an exegesis and interpreting that I never noticed before.
I also have a daily practice.
I would be happy to make new friends here.
Thanks for reading.
Mike

Aloka
18 Jul 12, 06:26
Hi Mike, :wave:

Welcome to BWB !

Can I ask you which Christian denomination you're with and if you are you still active in that ministry ?

with kind wishes,

Aloka :hands:

woodscooter
18 Jul 12, 07:53
Hi Mike

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries

Woodscooter

SwamiMike
18 Jul 12, 12:00
Hello,
Thanks for the welcomes. Sure, it's the United Church of Canada, and yes I'm still active.
:)
Mike

Aloka
18 Jul 12, 12:15
Sure, it's the United Church of Canada, and yes I'm still active.

Thanks Mike. :hands:

SwamiMike
18 Jul 12, 14:37
Thanks Mike. :hands:

No problem Aloka :) It's maybe a unique denomination, as we have everything from very conservative congregations to very liberal nontheistic congregations.

Esho
19 Jul 12, 01:19
Welcome Mike!

:wave:

dharmamom
20 Jul 12, 10:21
Welcome Mike!