PDA

View Full Version : In The World

Esho
18 Jun 12, 23:26
The following quote is from the 'Tenth Bull'.

Barefooted and naked of breast, I mingle with the people of the world.

My clothes are ragged and dust-laden, and I am ever blissful.

I use no magic to extend my life; Now, before me, the dead trees become alive.

Comment: "Inside my gate, a thousand sages do not know me. The beauty of my garden is invisible. Why should one search for the footprints of the patriarchs? I go to the marketplace with my wine bottle and return home with my staff. I visit the wine shop and the market, and everyone I look upon becomes enlightened."

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
Paul Reps.

The 'bulls' are a teaching that some Soto schools have as a guideline to tame the mind -the bull- being the tenth the one which is about full awakening.

What are your thoughts about this last stage of mental development?

jason c
19 Jun 12, 00:14
sounds like a lot of bull. :biglol:
metta,
jason

gerrardthor
19 Jun 12, 04:37
I don't know if I'm fully getting it.

Well I get an essence of something from reading that. The question of is his cognition of the trees and the people that which gives it life and enlightenment - or is it simply he is in such state that he is always there to witness such things.

I've had premature enlightenment at times and felt this way of seeing everyone as enlightened - but I don't think that's what he's getting at.

The Thinker
19 Jun 12, 11:01
To me the zen words never make sense. it sound so emty .

the thinker

Element
19 Jun 12, 12:17
What are your thoughts about this last stage of mental development?
hi Esho

i think from a 'Hinayana' perspective, everyone looked upon is seen as emptiness

i think, from a 'Mahayana' tantric perspective, he/she simply brings joy to those he/she looks upon; a temporary liberation

:hands:

Esho
19 Jun 12, 22:31
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

IMO, there seems to be some sort of fixation with the philosophical riddle of 'emptiness'.

Element
19 Jun 12, 22:43
Inside my gate, a thousand sages do not know me
i like this verse; there seems to be a discreteness here; an ordinariness; absolutely no self-identification with anything; merged with the earth; merged with death; but exuding a well being that nourishes others, without the knowing of the others

Esho
19 Jun 12, 23:24
absolutely no self-identification with anything;

Yes. I agree. Also we can see that realization of no self identification in other places like:

"I use no magic to extend my life".

Looks like this 'magic' -mental fabrications?- are the endless birth of personality -this invention of our selves again and again- at every moment of this life.

Abhaya
20 Jun 12, 04:43
Simply content with what is.

alfred
20 Jun 12, 09:15
[QUOTE=Esho;46515]The following quote is from the 'Tenth Bull'.Its giving a window in to the enlighte
ned mind state ;D:

The 'bulls' are a teaching that some Soto schools have as a guideline to tame the mind -the bull- bng the tenth the one which is about full awakening.
Its a portrayal of the awakened mind!;D

alfred
20 Jun 12, 09:22
To me the zen words never make sense. it sound so emty .

the thinkerHave another

look thinker and study!:hands: it is not empty my friend in dharma

The Thinker
20 Jun 12, 14:50
I do study the dhamma :) i just do it the Theravada way and not the Zen way :)

:hands:

Dave The Seeker
20 Jun 12, 16:12
I believe mental development is a difficult thing. We must make or I guess better term let our mind become still. In doing this our emotions and other outside influences are not really hindrences to our path.
"Barefooted and naked of breast, I mingle with the people of the world"

To me this seems to say that without the facade of who we want others to think we are, we are just our true selves.

"I use no magic to extend my life"
To me this seems to say that by living the right way, pcacticing and helping others, we are creating good Karma. Which may lead to a longer chance to spread the Dharma and help others to see the Truth.

I also have a hard time sometimes understanding a lot of Zen sayings/teachings, but maybe thats why most Zen followers sit so often............the stillness of the mind helps to understand the Zen teachings.

Not to say we all shouldn't sit as much as possible as it does help to calm the mind and understand any teaching.

With Metta

fletcher
21 Jun 12, 10:47
In the world, a video by Taigu Sensei

http://youtu.be/1moazXP-kyw

Taigu's YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsuten/videos

Gassho
Gary