PDA

View Full Version : What makes Zen meditation Zen?

gerrardthor
22 Mar 12, 02:20
I see it said in many places that this person or that person practices Zen meditation.

I got into meditation through a Zen book but I don't really call my meditation Zen meditation. I'm not training under a Zen master. I simply followed instructions in a book and gelled it with my own experience.

What is the different between just simple meditation and Zen meditation?

Abhaya
22 Mar 12, 02:42
Zen (Japanese Kanji and simplified Chinese 禅; traditional Chinese 禪) literally translates to meditation. It is derived from the Chinese word Chán, which has its respective origins in the Sanskrit dhyana and Pali jhana, both of which mean meditative "absorption". Typically, what makes Zen meditation Zen is its being practiced as part of the Zen school of Buddhism, whether under the direct instruction of a Zen teacher or not.

In my practice of Zen meditation, I take the seated posture and remain mindful of the breath, letting any arisen thoughts pass with neither attachment nor aversion to them.

Zen meditation is simple meditation, yet simple meditation need not be called Zen if the meditator practices with another school. It is simply a word one may use to describe one's practice, but with no inherent differences when set beside other simple meditative practices.

plwk
22 Mar 12, 03:22
Well gerrardthor, I can't help you on what the Japanese Zen Trads have to say on this topic but here's a sample on what the Chinese Ch'an perspectives are:
this (http://www.dharmadrum.org/content/chan_garden/chan_garden2.aspx?sn=42), this (http://cttbusa.org/chan/chan.asp) and this (click on #12 & 41) (http://blpusa.com/category/buddhism-in-every-step) if they are of any help...

Trilaksana
22 Mar 12, 04:04
Zen (Japanese Kanji and simplified Chinese 禅; traditional Chinese 禪) literally translates to meditation. It is derived from the Chinese word Chán, which has its respective origins in the Sanskrit dhyana and Pali jhana, both of which mean meditative "absorption". Typically, what makes Zen meditation Zen is its being practiced as part of the Zen school of Buddhism, whether under the direct instruction of a Zen teacher or not.

In my practice of Zen meditation, I take the seated posture and remain mindful of the breath, letting any arisen thoughts pass with neither attachment nor aversion to them.

Zen meditation is simple meditation, yet simple meditation need not be called Zen if the meditator practices with another school. It is simply a word one may use to describe one's practice, but with no inherent differences when set beside other simple meditative practices.

This is my understanding as well. The basic meditation in other traditions is essentially the same.

Aloka
22 Mar 12, 05:50
Hi Gerrardthor,

This topic is a tradition-specific question so I am moving it to the Mahayana/Vajrayana forum.

(Please see pinned Admin and Moderator guidelines for the Beginners forum)

with kind wishes

Aloka ;D

Yuan
22 Mar 12, 06:59

As far as I am concern, the difference between different school's meditations technique is simply the content of meditation, i.e. what goes on in one's 'mind' while 'meditating.' Some schools want you to count breathes, some to be 'mindful', some to visualize this or that, some to be empty, some to focus on a single idea and so forth.

Element
22 Mar 12, 08:31
imo, Zen meditation is a simplification of meditation. meditation was simplified by the Zen school because the Theravadin school complicated the original simple Pali instructions

the Pali instructions became complicated due to an inability to discern 'path' & 'fruit'. the Theravadins mistook 'fruit' for 'path', manufacturing all manner of instructions & technique out of 'fruit'

Zen adherents often do the opposite, mistaking 'path' for 'fruit', believing the path of samadhi (non-conceptual awareness) is fruit

in summary, the Theravadin sect mistakes fruit for path where as the Zen school often mistakes path for fruit

regards :joker:

Meffi
27 Mar 12, 23:23
In Zen you sit when you sit and nothing else