PDA

View Full Version : Why should I practice Zen ?

Aloka
05 Feb 12, 21:58
I found this short video by Brad Warner - a Soto Zen priest.

Comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0zrr9Difcs&feature=related

Esho
06 Feb 12, 02:24
As always, Brad has that poise in his speech. I love it. :flower:

When I practiced zazen it did well, opening the gate to the understanding of mental fabrications and the skill to watch them as an impersonal mind process which nature is to fade leaving no traces. Zazen has that impressive directness to the core aspects of mind...

but when I tried Anapanasati, it proved to be much more good. Additionally to mind watching it had a kind of ease and relaxation that I never got with zazen.

In some way Anapanasati has been more kind and caring than zazen...

;D

nowornever
06 Feb 12, 03:46
If zazen is not relaxed, it is just concentration.
I have never done anything more relaxing than zazen.
I love the kindness and care of this zen practice.
Thank you for starting this topic as it is encouraging.

Esho
06 Feb 12, 05:13
If zazen is not relaxed, it is just concentration.
I have never done anything more relaxing than zazen.
I love the kindness and care of this zen practice.

It is great that it works so well for you... ;D

nowornever
06 Feb 12, 08:38
Why should I practise zen?
For you.

Zenwanderer
23 Feb 12, 20:18
Gassho

You do not "practice" Zen .. you live Zen, you Experience Zen. Zen, like all the dharma, is aimed at changing your mind .. experiencing the world in different ways ... Does it take practice to achieve that? I have no idea ... my mind changes every day. Just replying to this forum has changed my mind.

Am I practicing? I have no need to answer that question ...

andyrobyn
23 Feb 12, 20:33
It is about attitude more than anything ... and should's aren't a big part of the attitude. Saying how, when and why anyone should practice ( in any tradition of understanding ) is like fighting for peace to my mind.

srivijaya
24 Feb 12, 11:37
It is about attitude more than anything ... and should's aren't a big part of the attitude. Saying how, when and why anyone should practice ( in any tradition of understanding ) is like fighting for peace to my mind.
Very much agree here andy.

Dae Bi
29 Feb 12, 21:18
This topic, although about Zen, is more about SotoShu Zen. There are other schools of Zen. I myself practice Korean Són. This practice is more in line with the LinChi way of Zen. We are given a Hwa Do/Kong an(koan) to hold. What is holding? This is about raising the great doubt and using the hwa do/ kong an as a tool. Not only do we "hold" the hwa do/kong an during meditation, we bring it forth as much as possible in everything we do. The aim! To break through mundane logic and thinking and realise the truth.