PDA

View Full Version : tantra, how does it work?

tim
25 Jan 12, 19:12
im confused. what the heck is tantra about? does it mean sex is good and one should be very promiscuous?? if so that just doesnt sit right with me, how can one be very promiscuous and have self respect? if one is having a lot of sex without the proper emotions behind it then i cant see how it's a positive thing. maybe i am just thinking from the wrong angle but please.. someone break it down for me. I feel lovers should be loyal to one another but maybe my view is wrong due to negative emotions such as jealousy and distrust.

Aloka
25 Jan 12, 20:34
Hi tim,

Historically, 'Tantra' developed after the Buddha. ( It can't be found in the Pali Canon)

It isn't about practising promiscuous sex !

This might be of some help :

http://buddhism.about.com/od/vajrayanabuddhism/a/tantra101.htm

I will probably move this to the Mahayana/Vajrayana forum because it is tradition-specific.

The Beginners forum is just for questions relating to the core teachings of the Buddha. (See Admin. Guidelines at the beginning of the topic list)

with kind wishes,

Aloka :hands:

tim
25 Jan 12, 21:07
thanks Aloka D. that link helped me understand slightly more.

Kevin
13 Feb 12, 18:54
You can also check out the book Introduction to Tantra by Lama Thubten Yeshe. Tantra recognizes that the powerful energy aroused by our desire is an indispensable resource for the spiritual path. It is precisely because our lives are so inseparably linked with desire that we must make use of desire's tremendous energy not just for pleasure, but to transform our lives.

plwk
14 Feb 12, 14:42
Try this (http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav/n.html_590453507.html)

Aloka
14 Feb 12, 15:22
Try this (http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/x/nav/n.html_590453507.html)

Personally I've never looked at that site by choice since I read Berzin's 'Dharma Lite' opinions 2 or 3 years ago !

:green:

Lucia
04 Mar 12, 23:05
I asked that exact question in a Karma Kagyu Buddhist conference once, without the sex part. I asked: What is Tantra? I have heard that the body , speech and mind together are Tantra...but What is it?...and the Lama answered something like this:

Tantra is like if you have a woven fabric and you make a hole in it. You can fix it by putting another piece of fabric on top and sew it or paste it to cover the hole but you will always have a patch. Tantra fixes the broken threads together completely , without patches. It works with the totality and it is completely renewed as in the original state.

I hope I was able to communicate the idea. It was the best answer possible for me….

L.

Aloka
04 Mar 12, 23:12
Tantra is like if you have a woven fabric and you make a hole in it. You can fix it by putting another piece of fabric on top and sew it or paste it to cover the hole but you will always have a patch. Tantra fixes the broken threads together completely , without patches. It works with the totality and it is completely renewed as in the original state.

One can read or listen to endless descriptions of Tantra being like this or that.....but are you actually practising it - and does it work for you ?

Lucia
04 Mar 12, 23:33
Yes, I am actually practicing and yes, gradually I have experienced the benefits and also a deeper understanding of the Diamond Way Teachings. Just gradually. I am far from being or wanting to sound like an expert.

L.