PDA

View Full Version : Intro

McNuffin
24 Jan 12, 09:35
Hello,

I first started meditating in my late teens, in the late 70's; a simple breathing meditation it was. When I was younger, I attended retreats whenever I could afford to travel to them, to practice Zen koans, Tibetan deity yoga, or Theravadin Vipassana meditations. I used to be familiar with some scholarly details of Buddhist thought, but I must admit I've forgotten a lot of the technical meanings over the years. Getting good meditation advice was valuable in my early days, and I was blessed to have met some wonderful teachers. We live in wonderful times.

I used to wonder if one tradition was better than another, or perhaps that Buddhism was better than the Catholicism I was raised with, but with time I see more similarities, than differences, between creeds. If you have fixed your eye on a particular goal, and years of practice have given you no reason to change that goal, then perhaps the practice has taken you hostage.

Ciao

Aloka
24 Jan 12, 09:47
Hi Mc Nuffin,

Welcome to the group !

I used to be familiar with some scholarly details of Buddhist thought, but I must admit I've forgotten a lot of the technical meanings over the years

A brief refresher of 'What is Buddhism' might be helpful to get back on track, there's a short text and accompanying MP3 at the link.

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Talks/Transcripts/WHAT-MAR03-TS.htm

with kind wishes,

Aloka ;D

Esho
24 Jan 12, 13:37
Hello McNuffin,

Be welcome to BWB!

;D

Moonfeet
24 Jan 12, 15:10
Welcome to the forum McNuffin ;D

Fee
24 Jan 12, 23:09
Welcome McNuffin :wave:

It will be great to hear some stories form your years of practice!

Fee

woodscooter
25 Jan 12, 13:00
Hi McNuffin,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter.