PDA

View Full Version : Parachuted In!!!

BTROD
19 Dec 11, 00:37
;D Blessing All ;D

I'm on my 51st time around the Sun! My introduction to Buddhism happened in 1972 when I read "The Third Eye", by Lobsang Rampa, I then went on to read all of Lobsang Rampa's books and enjoyed each one. I have attended a few Buddhist Centers and enjoyed my times there. I am, though, a novice when it comes to Buddhism as I don't belong to any particular tradition. The time has arrived for me to take a serious look at Buddhism!

My other interests include meditation, reading non fiction books, listening to music, making biscuits and cakes amongst other things! I do enjoy comedy and enjoy listening to Bill Hicks and George Carlin, they were very sharp social commentators as well as being extremely funny gentlemen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

Namaste,

MONS

plwk
19 Dec 11, 01:04
Hello

Aloka
19 Dec 11, 06:46
Hi monkofnoshame,

Welcome to the group. and thank you for introducing yourself .

You might like to listen to and read 'What is Buddhism' and also read 'On the Four Noble Truths' both of which can be found near the beginning of the topics in the Beginners to Buddhism forum.

with kind wishes,

Aloka;D

BTROD
19 Dec 11, 13:47
Hi monkofnoshame,

Welcome to the group. and thank you for introducing yourself .

You might like to listen to and read 'What is Buddhism' and also read 'On the Four Noble Truths' both of which can be found near the beginning of the topics in the Beginners to Buddhism forum.

with kind wishes,

Aloka;D

Aloka, many thanks for your reply! I will certainly follow up on your suggestions!

Last week I had an encounter with a stranger whilst having a coffee at a cafe, it was the book I was reading which drew his attention, "You Forever" by Lobsang Rampa! I bought a few of Rampa's books online and I am reading them again! We had a good chat and he encouraged me to buy a book y W Y Evans-Wentz, "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines", which arrived today! I do enjoy a good read! Although I do lack in the discipline department, and can appear to be lazy!

The gentleman's name was Victor, and he is on his 76th journey around the Sun! Nothing happens by chance, so I shall look forward to reading the book he recommended!

Namaste,

MONS;D

BTROD
19 Dec 11, 13:48
Hello

and a warm hello to you;D

Aloka
19 Dec 11, 14:03
Hi mons,

Did you know that Lobsang Rampa was a fake and was an Irishman and not a Tibetan lama ?

'Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines' is also a very bad translation, with an archaic commentary, from what I can remember from seeing it in the past. If you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism perhaps I can recommend you update your investigations to the modern era of genuine lamas and good translators !

Kind wishes,

Aloka ;D

BTROD
19 Dec 11, 16:03
Hi mons,

Did you know that Lobsang Rampa was a fake and was an Irishman and not a Tibetan lama ?

'Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines' is also a very bad translation, with an archaic commentary, from what I can remember from seeing it in the past. If you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism perhaps I can recommend you update your investigations to the modern era of genuine lamas and good translators !

Kind wishes,

Aloka ;D

I am aware of the fraud claims against Rampa, however, I have done my own research and I am happy to continue reading the books he wrote. As for the " "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines' being a bad translation, I can't argue with you as I am a novice! I shall read it though as I have bought the book!

Namaste,

MONS

Aloka
19 Dec 11, 17:47
I can't argue with you as I am a novice! I shall read it though as I have bought the book!

Oh sure, Mons - but bear in mind it was first published in 1935. ;D

Lewis
19 Dec 11, 20:09
welcome mons

BTROD
19 Dec 11, 20:23
welcome mons

Thank you Lewis!

Moonfeet
23 Dec 11, 20:08
Welcome to the forum Mons ;D

letting go
23 Dec 11, 20:22
welcome...
thanks for the wonderful clips

Fee
28 Dec 11, 09:59
:wave: Welcome to BWB MONS...

I hope you find your reading inspirational, it's great to hear your story about meeting Victor. ;D