PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

middle-way
18 Dec 11, 13:22
Hi guys,

I live in England with my girlfriend and have been practicing for around seven years. I like football, exercising, spending time with my girlfriend and family, reading about dharma and playing on the xbox!

I started out following the Mahayana, but more recently have taken an interest in the Thai forest tradition. I don't much formal sitting down meditation, just a few minutes here and there, but plenty of contemplation, prayer, recitation, and mindfulness of breathing as I go about my life.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

:)

Aloka
18 Dec 11, 13:35
Hi again middle-way,

We have something in common because I used to practice with Vajrayana but then changed to the Forest Tradition because it suits me better.

I hope you'll like it here ;D

Esho
18 Dec 11, 13:57
I started out following the Mahayana, but more recently have taken an interest in the Thai forest tradition.

Hello middle-way. Something like that happend to me. I were into Soto Zen for about 3 years devoted to Zazen but something really deep was touched by the teachings of Buddha, the early teachings that he spoke and left in the Nikayas and I shift into them.

Zen left me a lot of fundamental learnings that, fortunately, in some cases, go hand in hand, with many things, of the Thai Forest Tradition; the tradition with which I feel at home. Even Zen has many faces. It also happens that the Chinese one is very different to the one of Japan and within Japanise there are also very different traditions too.

I followed the Dogen one. Silent, pragmatic, disciplined, schooled and austere.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Take care middle-way

Kind wishes,

;D

middle-way
18 Dec 11, 18:04
Thanks for the welcome guys!

It's interesting to hear about your experiences. I lived in NKT centres for a year, so studied a lot of lamrim with a little vajrayana. Im not too familiar with Zen, although I like the "just sitting" meditation.

Now I'm particularly interested in the earliest suttas, which is probably what led me to the Thai Forest tradition. In particular I've been enjoying reading teachings of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. And the twelve permutation aspect of the four noble truths really struck a chord with me.

Thanks again for your kind welcomes!

Aloka
18 Dec 11, 18:15
Now I'm particularly interested in the earliest suttas, which is probably what led me to the Thai Forest tradition. In particular I've been enjoying reading teachings of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho.

You might enjoy exploring this site - there are free books and and also recordings of talks to listen to.

http://forestsanghapublications.org/

Moonfeet
23 Dec 11, 20:04
Welcome to the forum middle-way ;D

Fee
28 Dec 11, 09:43
:wave: Hi middle-way :wave:
It's nice to have you here!