PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Nyogen Yeo Roshi Dharma Talk

soundtrack
15 Nov 11, 15:18
The practice of Buddhism is to study the self, not any of that other crap... you don't come in and quote long scriptures... you don't talk about BS floating out here out there, it's the study of the self... YOU!

http://youtu.be/BzPk0QVr_nQ

Gotta love this guy. Reminds me of Bankei.

What do y'all think?

Cal
16 Nov 11, 03:08
I enjoyed it. Thank you Soundtrack

Aloka
16 Nov 11, 06:50

What do y'all think?

The manner of his presentation reminded me of some of the loud and persuasive Christian preachers I've watched very briefly on TV in the past... and I didn't watch it to the end because I just didn't feel connected.

Just being honest, sorry.

As for what he said about not needing the study of the scriptures, regarding this attitude in general, my opinion is that its important to see what Buddha had to say, in case we get side tracked into areas called 'Buddhism' which the Buddha might well have thought otherwise about .

srivijaya
16 Nov 11, 14:00
I like what he has to say, there is much wisdom in it. Thanks for putting it up.

Esho
16 Nov 11, 15:06
In accordance to Zen, it is a good speech.

But when I started to study the suttas, a deep shift happend in the understanding about the Natural Law. For the first time I really knew what was all that about Dukkha and its cessation. I think this is about different tempers.

;D

Lazy Eye
16 Nov 11, 19:36
Thanks Soundtrack. Liked this a lot. It struck me as a good summary of Zen Buddhist practice..."turning the light around" as it is sometimes called.

Linji has similar things to say in some of his teachings. I don't think Zen rejects study of the scriptures or familiarity with the words of Buddha...but it sees them more as signposts that can point out the path, as opposed to the path itself. In other words, we shouldn't cling to the signposts and forget the Way. That's my (limited) understanding of it, anyhow...

Someone may show up at the dharma hall and show off his or her learning and ability to quote sutras, but this is not evidence that real work on the Great Matter has taken place.

soundtrack
16 Nov 11, 21:07
Linji has similar things to say in some of his teachings. I don't think Zen rejects study of the scriptures or familiarity with the words of Buddha...but it sees them more as signposts that can point out the path, as opposed to the path itself. In other words, we shouldn't cling to the signposts and forget the Way. That's my (limited) understanding of it, anyhow...
Your understanding is correct. ;D

Someone may show up at the dharma hall and show off his or her learning and ability to quote sutras, but this is not evidence that real work on the Great Matter has taken place.

From Bodhidharma's Bloodstream Sermon:

Among Shakyamuni's ten greatest disciples, Ananda was foremost in learning. But he didn't know the Buddha. All he did was study and memorize.