PDA

View Full Version : Hello there, fellow buddhists!

waffletiem
14 Nov 11, 17:04
My name is Jay. i am 13 years old and I had an epiphany at 2am on saturday morning. all of a sudden i knew i was a buddhist and i should follow buddhas ways.

The problem i am facing with, is at my age, a lot of things are quite closed to me, it's as if people don't expect me to be making decisions at my age. i do not know what to do as a buddha. i know all 5 rules of being a buddhist (do not kill, do not lie, so not use sexual misconduct, do not take drugs/alcohol, never steal and always give freely.) i was wondering if any of you could help me and explain what i need to do as a buddhist in words i could understand. thank you!
-J

Aloka
14 Nov 11, 17:13
Hello Jay and welcome! I'm just popping in here briefly at the moment
- so I'm wondering if this link might be helpful to you to get some basic knowledge about Buddhism :

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/index.htm

waffletiem
14 Nov 11, 18:52
Hello Jay and welcome! I'm just popping in here briefly at the moment
- so I'm wondering if this link might be helpful to you to get some basic knowledge about Buddhism :

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/index.htm

thank you, that is brilliant! i have read the story of budda and i see it more clearly now. thank you. another question of mine- what prayers/activities do we do as buddhists? i have been praying to budda for knowledge and good health, and i have been reciting the 5 rules, and i have also been consulting the budda on some questions. is there anything im doing wrong/ missing something out? thanks.

Aloka
14 Nov 11, 19:26
Hi Jay,

If you feel really connected already, then it would be quite enough for the moment possibly to contemplate the triple refuge (x3) as well, and investigate its meaning, its:

I take refuge in the Buddha,

I take refuge in the Dhamma, (or Dharma)

I take refuge in the Sangha.

:hands:

That's what I did as soon as I came into contact with Buddhism..but its probably best to study a little more first and discover more about what the Buddha taught.

waffletiem
14 Nov 11, 19:54
Great, i have been saying that a few times too. how many times should i say it in a day? i have some prayer beads with 23 beads on, so should i do 23 every day? i also recite all 5 rules quite a lot with these beads.

Aloka
14 Nov 11, 20:31
Hi Jay, morning and evening contemplation is fine - then maybe just relax peacefully for a little while afterwards.

Otherwise carefully study the info at the link I gave you - and have a look at what it says about The Four Noble Truths there sometime, because that's the Buddha's most important teaching.

I think that's probably enough for you to do for the moment. ;D

waffletiem
14 Nov 11, 20:48
Great! i look forward to buddhism

waffletiem
14 Nov 11, 21:30
what should i do with my prayer beads?

Aloka
14 Nov 11, 21:36
what should i do with my prayer beads?

Nothing for the moment - but its up to you of course. You don't really need them to recite the Refuge and Five Precepts which you were already doing.

waffletiem
14 Nov 11, 21:38
oh, i thought buddhists used them?

Aloka
14 Nov 11, 21:45
Not all Buddhists use them, just some Buddhists. Theyre used for reciting mantras which isn't really particularly relevant to what you need to know about the basics at the moment, Jay. One step at a time !

Are you definately only 13 - or are you someone older than that ? I'm not sure I'm convinced, to be honest, you seem older !

Karma Yeshe
14 Nov 11, 22:09
Hi and welcome,

With your parents OK of course - There might be a Buddhist Center near you that you could become involved with. I have found it is better to have a live person to help you along the path,

all the Best

Aloka
14 Nov 11, 22:12
Hi and welcome,

With your parents OK of course - There might be a Buddhist Center near you that you could become involved with. I have found it is better to have a live person to help you along the path,

all the Best

If Jay really is only 13, Karma Yeshe, then that's probably not a very good idea unless he's actually accompanied by an adult if he goes to a centre.

There's also nothing wrong in him taking his time first and investigating the educational section at the Buddhanet link I gave, to make sure he's genuinely interested. It has been specially structured for children and teenagers.

Esho
14 Nov 11, 22:30
Be welcome J-

;D

Wanderer
15 Nov 11, 05:09
Welcome Jay.

I had an epiphany at 2am on saturday morning Tomorrow you may have an epiphany that you're not a Buddhist. It's very early in life to decide what or who you are. I would try to limit yourself to having an interest in Buddhism and see what you learn and where it takes you. Talk with your parents about how you feel.

Trilaksana
15 Nov 11, 20:09
Tomorrow you may have an epiphany that you're not a Buddhist. It's very early in life to decide what or who you are. I would try to limit yourself to having an interest in Buddhism and see what you learn and where it takes you. Talk with your parents about how you feel.

This. Don't make your decision so quickly. You should study buddhism further.

gerrymob
15 Nov 11, 20:14
My name is Jay. i am 13 years old and I had an epiphany at 2am on saturday morning. all of a sudden i knew i was a buddhist and i should follow buddhas ways.

The problem i am facing with, is at my age, a lot of things are quite closed to me, it's as if people don't expect me to be making decisions at my age. i do not know what to do as a buddha. i know all 5 rules of being a buddhist (do not kill, do not lie, so not use sexual misconduct, do not take drugs/alcohol, never steal and always give freely.) i was wondering if any of you could help me and explain what i need to do as a buddhist in words i could understand. thank you!
-J

waffletiem/Jay

Well done for making up your own mind at your age. I made up my mind much younger than you to give up religions with a god. I also had a dream at a very early age to be a soldier like my Dad, kept the dream to myself and fulfilled it. Take the advice from the people on this site, they are much smarter than me. I found Buddhism by marrying a Buddhist well into my thirties but I wish I had started earlier. Don't forget your school and local libraries, I reckon the best book to read is Buddhism for Dummies, if you are in UK it is in libraries and bookshops, if you live in another country it can be found on the amazon website.

Best wishes

Peace

Gerry

ratikala
15 Nov 11, 20:26
no advice just a warm hello ,

it is great to find a path so early on , some people are not so fortunate

namaskars :hands: ratikala

Moonfeet
21 Nov 11, 15:27
Welcome to the forum ;D