PDA

View Full Version : Forum Software Upgraded

woodscooter
24 Jun 11, 04:07
We have done an upgrade of the forum software to the latest version. You will not notice very much difference, but under the surface things will be running more smoothly.

One thing that will be quite obvious is that the posting boxes have changed a little in presentation. There's still a "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of each thread, with the button to "Go Advanced", much as before.

There are now three versions of the Quick Reply and the Advanced boxes. You can select the one you want in your Profile, under General Settings, near the bottom of the long list of General Settings.

You may select from Basic Editor (no frills), Standard Editor (good for everyone) and "Enhanced Interface" (the top of the range version).

Let me apologise to you if you were using the forum when the upgrade process began, as we were not able to give advance warning of the upgrade. Next time, we will provide an announcement on the previous day, and will aim to create minimum inconvenience.

Woodscooter
Technical Administrator.

Esho
24 Jun 11, 05:44
As always thanks Woodscooter for this improvements!

:hug:

srivijaya
24 Jun 11, 07:08
Nice one.:peace:

woodscooter
24 Jun 11, 18:21
Thank you both.

If anyone is finding it complicated, please say so in this thread. The procedure for adding smilies and images to posts has changed and it may take a few tries to get used to it.

stuka
26 Jun 11, 18:11
Thanks for all the good work, WS, we all appreciate your efforts, though it often goes unsaid.

I am not seeing any of the buttons (img, links, etc), and haven't ever seen anything for smilies..Also, I have lost the ability to expand the posting box.

Aloka
26 Jun 11, 18:30
Hi Stuka - you should have a quick reply box with a strip at the top for font, a small selection of smilies, url link, e-mail, images, video, quote facility, and spell-check.

At the bottom right of the quick reply box should be a 'go advanced' button which gives you a bigger box with 3 rows of stuff at the top and 15 smilies to the right of the box with [more] to click on underneath them to see extra smilies.

Im really sorry you're having problems and I've absolutely no idea why you're not getting that format. Hopefully WS will see your post soon and be able to help in some way. I wonder if its happening to anyone else too ?

PS

Just a reminder to everyone if you haven't noticed it - we've got a "New Posts" feature near the top of the main forums page and the same feature as ''Recent Posts'' at the bottom of the same page just above 'Currently active users'.

woodscooter
26 Jun 11, 23:48
I am not seeing any of the buttons (img, links, etc), and haven't ever seen anything for smilies..Also, I have lost the ability to expand the posting box.

This seems to have happened to some members overnight, with no clear cause. Fortunately, there is a simple solution.

Go to Edit Profile, then to General Settings, and look down the sections until you reach Miscellaneous Options.

The first of these is Message Editor Interface, with three options.

To get things back to the way they used to be, select the Standard Editor.
If you live life in the fast lane, try Enhanced Interface
Never select the Basic Editor, it's just not good enough.

I know of no way to switch everybody on to the Standard Editor. If I could, I would. So it's up to you to make the necessary changes if the system has put you on the wrong one.

Please please tell me if the system changes your settings unasked, as I would need to follow this up.

WS

stuka
27 Jun 11, 01:56
Looks like I've got it now, thanks. Dunno where they were hiding...I see now that instead of those funky arrows to expand the window, there is a handle on the bottom right corner -- which I think will be better anyway.

...now if I could only convince Steve Jobs to put a forward-delete key and/or arrow keys on the dang iPox....

woodscooter
27 Jun 11, 10:00
I'm glad to hear it's all right now.

We can put in ;D smileys and formatting from the quick-reply screen.

And if you navigate away from the page with a part-written post in the Quick Reply box, you can restore your potential masterpiece by clicking on a button that says "Restore Auto-Saved Content". The button only appears when it's needed.

WS

srivijaya
27 Jun 11, 10:22
Cheers Woodie. The only odd thing I've noticed is that in the reply boxes (both Quick & Advanced) I get u
nusual word-breaks when I get to the edge of the text box. Some words split in the middle, or even the firs
t or last letter, making it look odd. When I preview or post it, it's fine. It kind of looks like how I've 'force-r
eturned' it in this post to demonstrate.

woodscooter
27 Jun 11, 15:34
I get u
nusual word-breaks when I get to the edge of the text box.

Yes, the editor does not seem concerned with breaking lines at a word boundary. It fills every line with as many letters as it can, then starts a new line.

It's a quirk, and we are not used to it. Strictly speaking, it's not the editor's job to determine where the lines break. That's something done by the browser when it renders the page.

In defence of the editor, when you see a line of text that doesn't extend to the right-hand edge of the screen, then you know that the next line is definitely a 'newline'.

It's not a fault, not an error. It really is supposed to work like that. Excerpt from online documentation:

Since CKEditor is an online editor, documents created in it differ in some aspects from documents created in desktop applications. Text entered in a browser-based editor differs from a paged medium such as print mainly in that it is not divided into physical pages. Because of that the document created in CKEditor does not have a fixed size or format, like Letter or A4, and flows freely to fill the available screen estate, both in editing and in preview mode.
(Taken from CKEditor Users Guide (http://docs.cksource.com/CKEditor_3.x/Users_Guide/Document))

Once you leave the Editor and go to a Preview, the browser takes over and breaks the lines at word boundaries. That's not the same thing as CKEditor in its own preview mode.

srivijaya
27 Jun 11, 20:44
Cheers Woodie. It's no big deal, I can live with it:cheers:

Aasha
30 Jun 11, 16:42
Hi,

For days now when I've been trying to write a post, when I click on 'go advanced', I lose everything and a message comes up that I'm not logged in, and then I can't retrieve what I've written. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Can you help?

Aasha

woodscooter
30 Jun 11, 17:40
Hi,
...when I've been trying to write a post, when I click on 'go advanced', I lose everything and a message comes up that I'm not logged in, and then I can't retrieve what I've written.
Aasha

Oh dear, that certainly is not the way it is supposed to work. From the time when you sign in, it should certainly keep you logged in for an hour or more, and if "Remember Me" is ticked, you will remain logged in indefinitely.

So a message saying you are not logged in should not appear. And if you were not logged in to begin with, no posting box (Quick Reply box) would be there.

What is the operating system (Windows or Mac, what version or version name?) and what browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome...) are you using?

Finally, do you have cookies enabled? If not, can you enable cookies just for buddhismwithoutboundaries.com?

Tell me if you don't know the answer to some of those questions, and I'll let you know how to find out.

WS

Aasha
01 Jul 11, 09:11
Hi Woodscooter,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've always had cookies enabled but I didn't have the 'remember me' box ticked - so I've done that now and will see if that makes a difference.

I've just tried clicking on 'go advanced' and the message box has expanded. This doesn't happen each time, but maybe as you say its when I've been logged in for over an hour. Sometimes I just leave it on and go away and do something and come back to it later. Anyway, hopefully it should be fine now that I've ticked the 'remember me' box! Cheers. ;D

woodscooter
01 Jul 11, 16:21
I'll set that "Remember Me" box permanently ticked, so you only need to click it if you wanted it unticked.

I'm sure other people, myself included, would find that convenient.

Aasha
19 Jul 11, 16:11
I'll set that "Remember Me" box permanently ticked, so you only need to click it if you wanted it unticked.

Hi Woodscooter,

I'm still having problems when writing my posts, and getting this message coming up saying that I'm not logged in, when I try and click on the 'go advanced' tab. You said you would set the 'Remember Me' box to be permanently ticked, but since you said this in the above post, its never been ticked?

It was fine for a while, but that's twice now I've lost what I've written again when trying to enlarge the editing box. Also this 'restore auto-saved content' isn't always there at the foot of the quick reply box either. :confused:

Aasha;D

woodscooter
19 Jul 11, 21:25
I think the trouble you've been having is related to not checking the 'Remember Me' box.

Now I have made it permanently ticked (ages after I said I would, sorry!).

I'm handing it back to you to see how you get on from now. If you get logged out again, while composing a post, please tell me about it here and I will investigate further. If I hear no more, I'll assume that it's working OK for you now.

WS.

Aasha
20 Jul 11, 16:10
Thanks Woodscooter...;D