Thread: Developing Metta

Developing Metta

A good friend reminded me last night to ensure that my heart remains open to life.

This seems to me to be good advice in general, and in my meditation practice.

P

Hi Paul,

Sorry but I'm a bit puzzled about what it is that you want to discuss with others for a topic in this forum,which is a place for members to discuss different aspects of their own meditation practice with the group. (See guidelines)

Are you wanting to have a discussion about the development of your metta practice ? There are some good Metta resources including a 5 min instruction video in #2 of a meditation thread in our Study Links section.

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...356-Meditation

with kind wishes

Aloka

I know Pema Chodron's written extensively about developing metta through meditation, so if the OP is interested in that, I'd recommend reading her book Start Where You Are. Speaking of which, I should probably spend one or two of my weekly meditations using her technique.

Thankyou for the comments. And apologies...my mind was wandering when I posted this, I realize it may not be in line with forum guidelines.

What was I trying to say? It was triggered by a discussion on another thread. It struck me that when (if) we strive to achieve calmness, dispassion and non-attachment in meditation, we can miss something very important; the very difficult practice of developing real warmth, compassion, metta towards others:
    http://www.wildmind.org/metta/introd...at-buddha-said

In some traditions, when practising the Metta Bahavna we are encouraged to visualize the heart as an unfurling lotus flower, opening up to life and others and to carry this sense onwards into out lives.

Meditation can become a very self-centred and misdirected thing if we forget why we practice, if we forget our connection to/non-seperateness from others. Or so it seems to me. How do others deal with this diffuculty?

With warmth

P

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 7:47 AM Mon, 9:47 AM Mon, 3:47 PM Mon, 9:17 PM Mon, 11:47 PM Tue, 2:47 AM