Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to Meditate Properly?

How to Meditate Properly?

I'm not sure if I am doing this right, but I try to focus on my breath. Once I have successfully done this, I start thinking randomly. I just let my mind wander and keep my breathing steady.

I need tips, badly.

Hi Stormsy,

It sounds like what you're attempting is anapanasati, which is mindfulness of breathing. Breathing in, be mindful of the in-breath. Breathing out, be mindful of the out-breath. With whatever arises, be mindful. With whatever subsides, be mindful.

It is not uncommon for thoughts to come and go during meditation. When one's mind begins to wander, note it, let the thought pass, and continue on with mindfulness of breathing. One mistake I made when I first began meditation involved "pushing" the thoughts away. This forcefulness worked against me, as my mind would become even more distracted by interacting/reacting so strongly to its own thinking.

Here is a link to a short explanation of anapanasati that you might find useful: http://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness

Abhaya

If you meditate frequently, what are the mental and physical benefits of doing so?

Hi Stormsy, the benefits for you of regular meditation will be that your mind will begin to gradually become quieter, calmer and more peaceful and this eventually will also mean that you have less physical tension.

I already mentioned on your thread "Please I need Answers" that there's an excellent "Buddhist Meditation" series of short meditation instruction videos on YouTube given by Ajahn Jayasaro.

This is the introduction

There are also some resources (which include anapanasati) in a meditation thread in our Study Links section near the bottom of the main forums page.

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...356-Meditation

with kind wishes

Aloka

I think you have a misunderstanding (maybe not). If you think that you're mind should be wandering every which way and that to have continuous mental chatter occurring within your mind that is effectively pointless. Buddhist meditation generally focuses on quieting the mind. Some forms focus on quieting the mind as completely as possible, like Zazen and other forms have a more significant object than breath, such as Metta meditation.

In my personal practice, I've noticed a decrease in anxiety, an increase in awareness of both mental habits and previously overlooked details of the world around me, as well as more stillness of body and mind outside of meditation.

With regular meditation, attention is greatly enhanced. The research supporting this abounds. Although I'm aware that not everyone has access to these publications, the following list of references presents a general idea of well-documented benefits arising out of meditation.

Hasenkamp, W., Wilson-Mendenhall, C. D., Duncan, E., & Barsalou, L. W. (2011). Mind wandering and attention during focused meditation: A fine-grained temporal analysis of fluctuating cognitive states. NeuroImage, doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.07.008

Jha, A. P., Krompinger, J., & Baime, M. J. (2007). Mindfulness training modifies subsystems of attention. Cognitive, Affective & Behavioral Neuroscience, 7, 109-119. doi:10.3758/CABN.7.2.109

Kozasa, E. H., Sato, J. R., Lacerda, S. S., Barreiros, M. A. M., Radvany, J., Russell, T. A., . . . Amaro, E. (2011). Meditation training increases brain efficiency in an attention task. NeuroImage, doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.06.088

Lutz, A., Slagter, H. A., Dunne, J. D., & Davidson, R. J. (2008). Attention regulation and monitoring in meditation. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 12, 163-169. doi:10.1016/j.tics.2008.01.005

Quote Originally Posted by Trilaksana View Post
    other forms have a more significant object than breath, such as Metta meditation.
    In Ajahn Jayasaro's Buddhist Meditation series mentioned #4 he gives a five minute Metta Meditation instruction in video number 7.

In general, Mahayana/Vajrayana meditation techniques other than Samatha, Vipassana and Metta - or which also involve deity mantra recitation and visualisations - are not within the scope of this meditation forum and should be discussed in the Mahayana/Vajrayana forum.

(If enough interest develops there, then another sub-forum could be created eventually.)

My mind usually wanders to thoughts like so: I picture a raindrop. I picture it become a puddle, a stream, a river, a lake, an ocean, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsy View Post
    My mind usually wanders to thoughts like so: I picture a raindrop. I picture it become a puddle, a stream, a river, a lake, an ocean, and so forth.
    If these images are helpful to you, continue on with mindfulness. If they are distracting, let them go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 5:18 AM Tue, 7:18 AM Tue, 1:18 PM Tue, 5:48 PM Tue, 8:18 PM Tue, 10:18 PM